Parents love Old Western Culture because they see their children coming to the dinner table full of stories, and thirsty for knowledge and wisdom. But Old Western Culture is not just for students – make this the year you dive into the great books yourself, and earn free curriculum in the process!
NOTE: Registering for the challenge does not obligate you to participate or finish the challenge in order to have access to the challenge resources, like the Achilles Vs Hector debate.
Watch the video
Register for the Great Books Challenge for Parents. No purchase necessary to enter the challenge, but you will need access to the unit of OWC you chose for the challenge, except unit 1 (The Epics) which is included during the challenge via private email links.
2. Read and Watch!
Enjoy reading the Great Books from the unit you chose, and watching the lectures from Old Western Culture! The Challenge is focused on The Epics this year, and will include extra resources, including a 40-week suggested schedule, and audio reading of all 24 books of the Iliad and Odyssey!
3. Get Free Unit
Did you complete the challenge? CONGRATULATIONS! Fill out this form, and the unit of your choice will be on the way!
Free unit details: 1 unit of Old Western Culture (physical DVD or streaming) + Reader (PDF), and workbook (PDF) + Exam Pack (PDF). $56 value. You may choose Roman Roads store credit for yourself or to give away instead of a free unit.
More about the Challenge
“Why are you giving away free curriculum?”
We are convinced that parents who use Old Western Culture will LOVE it. And when a parent loves a curriculum, they tell their friends. And word-of-mouth is the BEST way to let people know about this curriculum. We’re spending most of our time making this the best literature curriculum available, and we need help spreading the word. So help us by USING it, and telling your friends!
“Are you REALLY going to live-stream a read-aloud of the Odyssey at the end?!”
Yes! In fact, we already did this with the Homer’s Iliad, Vergil’s Aeneid, and Milton’s Paradise Lost! We will record each book, one-by-one, throughout the year, stitch them all together in one video we estimate will be 18+ hours long, and live-stream it on August 1st, 2022 on Roman Roads FB and YouTube page. We would love for some of the books to be read by participants in this Challenge! If you have access to quality audio recording, send a sample recording to GreatBooksChallenge@romanroadsmedia.com to be considered as a reader of one book of the Odyssey.
“I already own all of Old Western Culture!“
You are a Great Books Warrior, or at least on the way! If you own all four years of Old Western Culture, then if you complete the Challenge we match the price ($56) in store credit!
- Who is this for? Any parent or adult who is no longer a student.
- What must I complete? You must register which unit you have chosen to complete, and do the assigned reading of that unit, and watch the 12 lectures associated with it. You do not need to complete written workbook assignments or exams. Completion is on the honor system.
- What materials do I need to complete the challenge? You will need the unit of Old Western Culture you have chosen. You may use your own copy/edition of the associated great books, or purchase one of our Readers.
- Is there a deadline? Yes! The deadline for this challenge is August 1st, 2022. It will culminate in a reading aloud (streamed online) of the entire Odyssey by 24 different readers.
- “What if I already read the associated great books? Does that count?” Part of what places a book in the canon of the “great books” is that it is worth reading and re-reading many times. For this challenge, you must read the book(s) and watch the associated lectures from the unit you chose between August 1st, 2021 and August 1st, 2022.
Testimonials from Previous Challenges
I’m including a few comments from parents who finished previous Great Books Challenge for Parents (which was focused on The Aeneid).