Start with the two epics poems by Homer, the Iliad and the Odyssey. Discover the genius of the Greek playwrights at describing human emotion. Enjoy the winding storytelling of Herodotus, the “Father of History.” Ponder human nature with Plato and Aristotle. See how God used these Pagan works in the history of the world, and particularly in the history of God’s people.
How does it work?
The Greeks offers a complete literature and history course, intended for high school aged students (14+) as well as for the adult enrichment student.
Old Western Culture is a guide through the great books. Start your journey by watching the first video in a unit. Students are introduced to the work, the historical context, and given tips for reading, then assigned reading to complete before the next video lecture. After watching and reading, students answer lecture and reading comprehension questions in the workbook, which is also preparation for the exam that accompanies each unit. The workbook can also be used as a guide for discussion in a group setting.
What Will I Be Reading?
The Greeks offers the student a complete overview of Greek history, philosophy, and literature, with enough flexibility to truly make the experience their own.
- The Epics—Homer’s two great poems, the Iliad and the Odyssey.
- Drama & Lyric—the works of the great Greek tragedians, including the Oresteia and selections from the Greek poets.
- The Historians—Herodotus’ and Thucydides’ tellings of the great Greek wars.
- The Philosophers—Plato and Aristotle’s foundational texts of western philosophy.
Just want to study the highlights? We also offer the Essentials Schedule—a selection of Old Western Culture’s complete reading list.
- 1 full year of instruction divided into four units: The Epics, Drama and Lyric, The Histories, and The Philosophers.
- 48 lectures.
- 30-40 minutes per lecture.
- 4 quarterly exams.
- Through the Old Western Culture Readers, an edition of the works covered for each unit.
- Hundreds of classical paintings, maps, timelines, and more woven into the video lessons.
Preview The Greeks
Preview clips from Old Western Culture’s video lectures.